Pryor Creek Golf Course History
The following is a history of our golf course. Unfortunately, the source was missing several words throughout, so there are several places featuring incomplete sentences and names. If you have any more information that we could add, we would love for you to reach out and let us know! Words and phrases in italics are places that were missing words and we tried to fill in.
The Pryor Creek Golf Course, originally named Earl Ward Golf Course, has a rich and diverse history. Many golfers who contributed to the concepts, labor and long hours are now deceased _____ by name: Gene Abdoo, Ralph Agnew, Don Bishop, Mel Blockcolski, Jim Bradley, Bill Bran____, Bill Cowling, John Cordell, Hal Corn, Jack Crockett, Lester Cross, Cleo East, Raymond Ga____, Guthrie, Warren Hadley, Jim Haught, Guy Hedrick, Ken Hemperley, Carl Hogue, Clyde H___, Jim Jones, Paul Lowe, Lloyd Mallow, Onis McHenry, Al Middleton, Jack Norman, Sr. , War____ Poe, Earl Ragland, Max Risner, Rex Risner, H.B. “Howard” Roy, Harry Schaefer, Bob Sibl___, Springer, Elmer Swan Boyce Wallis, Earl Ward, Herschel “Pooch” Williams, and Woody W____ member of the Pryor Park Board in 1956 and had a positive effect on golf for countless years. Additionally, there are those still living who have and continue to contribute to the game _____ Connolly, Dr. Charles Dickson, Ralph Grayson, Eddie Helm, John Marney, Quinton Ogden, ____ Townsend, Bailey Vanzant and many others. Jim Rickey is remembered for being available ___ provide advice concerning the growing of grass esp. For the greens. Additionally, he pro____ preparing this Golf Course History. Quinton Ogden was also available for consultation concerning___ and grasses.
In 1952, former Mayor Earl Ward secured a lease on approximately 535 acres of Government ____ supervision of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Construction started in 1953 on 9 holes ___. A golfer would use a device to “drag” and smooth out the green before putting. Talk about a slow pace of play! After personal donations and much volunteer help, a concrete block building was ____ Shop and equipment storage. The original building still stands.
The first Golf Tournament in Mayes County was played at the PCGC in 1955. Tony Jack _____ Woodall faced Don Bishop and Elmer Swan in the finals. The team of Bishop and Swan ____. In 1956 and 1957, many people became interested in the course and it came under the _____ Pryor Park Board. J. A. “woody” Woodall became a Board member in 1956 and soon after ___ replacing sand greens with grass was adopted.
In 1958, greens were converted from sand to 328 Bermuda grass greens. Volunteer laborers ___ man teams were assigned to plug the greens. Many of these laborers were volunteers f____ other plants.
About 1960 or 1961, the Bermuda grass froze and work was begun to establish Bentgrass __ original seedig was accomplished with Seaside Bentgrass. The Seaside Bent was later replaced with Penncross Bentgrass. It became obvious that a watering system would be of prime importance ___ were layed to each green and the greens were hand watered at that time.
The residence behind the Golf Shop was built in 1963 with a $5,000 loan from the City of Pryor and was re-paid at the rate of $1,000 yearly over a 5yr period. In 1983, an addition was added for the families of the Golf Pro.
Superintendents over the years included: Bill Jarrard, Leo Perry, Euince Hoos, Richard Ha____, Ron Gates, and Danny Mekks.
Golf Professionals have included Walter and Wife Marilyn, Jason Thornbrugh, and Dennis Bowman and Wife Donna continue today. Their sons, Blake and Austin, played for the PHS Golf Team and brought ___ trophies.